Please join us for the following Pauline Elizabeth Hopkins Society events at the 2013 American Literature Association Conference, held at the Westin Copley Place, Boston, Massachusetts.
Poetry Reading by Michael Harper.
Friday, May 24, 6:30 pm, Essex South Ballroom
A reception hosted by the African American Literature and Culture Society, the Charles Chesnutt Association, the Paul Laurence Dunbar Society, the Pauline Hopkins Society, the Charles Johnson Society, the Toni Morrison Society, the Ralph Ellison Society, and the John Edgar Wideman Society will follow the presentation.
Session 15-O Business Meeting: Pauline Elizabeth Hopkins Society (Parliament 7th Floor)
Saturday May 25, 2013 9:30-10:50am
Session 18-E Pauline Hopkins and Intertextuality (Helicon 7th Floor)
Saturday May 25, 2013 2:00-3:20 pm
Chair: Colleen O’Brien, University of South Carolina-Upstate
1. “Renegotiating New Negro Womanhood in Pauline Hopkins’s Contending Forces,” Amy Bennett Zendzian, Boston University
2. “Pauline Hopkins’s Architectural Resistance: Lodging Singleness in ‘The Little Romance,’” Katherine Fama, Washington University in Saint Louis
3. “Calling for Civility: Hopkins’s Recontextualization of Emerson’s Abolitionist Rhetoric,” Karin L. Hooks, Ohio State University
Session 19-F New Directions in Hopkins Scholarship: A Roundtable Discussion (Helicon 7th Floor)
Saturday, May 25 2013 3:30-4:50 pm
Moderator: John Gruesser, Kean University
1. Rynetta Davis, University of Kentucky
2. John Gruesser, Kean University
3. Alisha Knight, Washington College
4. Greg Laski, United States Air Force Academy
5. Colleen O’Brien, University of South Carolina-Upstate
6. Cherene Sherrard-Johnson, University of Wisconsin-Madison